How do I install the Pipe Flow Expert software on a Network Drive?
Note: You must have purchased and will need a multi-user network license code in order to enable access to the Pipe Flow Expert software for multiple users.
The standard program is simply installed once to a shared drive on your network, where the shared drive has been mapped via a UNC (Universal Naming Convention) such that when a client machine accesses the ‘Pipe Flow Expert’ folder on the shared drive it always sees the same path as other client machines do (i.e. client machines cannot map to the shared drive via a drive letter like G: or Z: etc, they must instead use a universal naming convention mapping of the form "\\machine-name\share-name\folder-name" to access the shared area).
The following steps describe how to install PipeFlow Expert on a network drive:
- Use a client machine to download, run and install the normal PipeFlow Expert program, but change the location during installation to select a folder on your shared network drive. DO NOT use the server or that machine that hosts the shared folder to install or access the software. You can get the download link for the Pipe Flow Expert installation from here: www.pipeflow.com/software-downloads
- ALL users need full read/write permission to the shared folder where Pipe Flow Expert is installed (and access to all sub folders and files), so after the install ensure that the 'Pipe Flow Expert' folder has appropriate permissions.
- Run PipeFlow Expert on a client machine by accessing it from the shared drive and note the 9 digit product number that is shown when it starts.
- Close PipeFlow Expert and Run up PipeFlow Expert again (perhaps even from a different client machine) and note the 9 digit product number again. It should be the same as before. If it has changed then there is some kind of permissions problem with the installation (i.e. not enough read/write access etc).
- Once you have the 9 digit product number (and it does not change when you close and re-run Pipe Flow Expert from the same or different machines), then email this to us and we will email back the multi-user network license code.
- Launch PipeFlow Expert from any client machine and enter the license code. This will enable the software license for all users, and the licensing is complete.
Note: If more than the maximum allowed users try to run the software concurrently then an option will be displayed to allow a new user to deactivate the 'oldest' license (least recently used license). If the new user proceeds with the 'Forced Removal' of the 'oldest' user then the least recently used license will be 'forced off' and the new user will start using this license.
It takes 5 minutes to 'force removal' of the least recently used license and the new user must wait while this time counts down before they are able to run up the program. This situation should not occur very often since when a user finishes with the program and closes it down, the program automatically releases the license for re-use. The issue would only arise if users are not closing the program down after using it or if there are genuinely more users trying to run the program at the same time than the number of users that the network license allows.